Sunday, November 09, 2008

Do Whatcha Do


Bobbi is quite simply a wonderful photographer, a woman who is passionate about capturing images with her camera for the enjoyment of those today and for future generations. She is also a well known and highly respected and sought out resource for those in the community who want to hear how she has carved out a remarkable career over almost 30 years. She does what she does because it is a life long passion, a fire that burns within her---- she can't imagine doing anything else.

The rest of the staff, those who photograph alongside are also passionate and equally driven. They do what they do for many of the same reasons.

Me? Why do I do what I do? The money one might say, but upon closer inspection it is much more. How often does a person get to work in a field that while full of usual irritants and pitfalls culminates in the privilege of spending one of the most important days in the life of a family? When I show up for "work", I am blessed to be able to share a day of extraordinary happiness and joy. Major woo hoo's in other words! :)

I spent some time really thinking about that yesterday at the wedding of Donna and Stan, and more as the evening was spent at their reception. You see, this wedding couple is not what many would call the "typical" bride and groom. Donna is around my age (which of course makes her young, vibrant and brimming with life) and Stan at slightly older, were married after they had spent a large portion of their lives married to others , with children. Life happens. With their children now grown, including Stan's daughter a new mother, this couple found each other in what they describe as a gift from God, they left loneliness and found joy in a new beginning. Donna's daughter Kate, an accomplished musician now living in St. Louis, composed the beautiful music that her mother Donna walked down the aisle to marry the love of her new life. The ceremony was purposeful, magical, full of love and life and the sparkle of promise. It was on all accounts lovely. Donna's son Matt resides in Alaska and gave his radiant Mom away. I know for a fact the number one question asked of him was "Do you know Sarah P*alin?" He did not, for the record.

The crowd was decidedly older, as you would expect, and in no case less exuberant. After the rice was thrown at the church and the celebrants took up their posts at the reception, the party began in earnest. The meal was delicious and enjoyed by all, the cake was cut and the first dances enjoyed. And then the group, many of whom were swing dancers, began to do what they do best, celebrate an incredible occasion in the company of those who party together well! They all had a wonderful time and we had a great time watching them. How I would love to dance like that (and most assuredly do NOT!)

As I often do when I attend a reception of a BBP bride and groom, I found a quiet corner and sat alone. I was SO amazed, honored, humbled and flat out incredulous that on no less than FIVE separate occasions approached by the lovely guests at the wedding and asked to join their table. They all told me that they didn't want me to sit alone, that their table was fun and lively and wonderfully eclectic. It made me smile.

While it is impossible to explain why I do what I do, yesterday's wedding is in large part the reason. I love to see people happy, to see joy and hope and all things bright and beautiful. Because many of our prior brides and grooms still read the blog, still see BBP professionally, and personally, and because we count them as friends-------- that is a true blessing, a profound joy. Heck----- many of "my" brides hold my knitting and smile with conspiratorial joy and share what is important to me! That bond is forged early and stays forever, to my eternal pleasure. Here at BBP, we watch families grow, we mourn when our friends lose family members, we count it all as part of lives well lived and are SO completely blessed to be part of it all.

Wow. It's a good gig, it's why I do what I do. So thanks------- and remind me on those rare occasions I'm tired, out of sorts or dealing with a situation that for the moment has spun out of control. Donna and Stan had been "Bobbi watchers" for a long time and were thrilled to have her capture their day--- as we were pleased to be there. At the end of the day Donna said that we "were much more than wedding photographers during the day". We gave our usual high level of service, did what we could along the way to include sewing Kate's strap back on and helping Donna's former mother-in-law to her waiting car as she traveled back home with her caregivers. At the end of it all, when the day was over, it was a great day. A wonderful wedding. A beautiful couple. We made a difference and counted it as joy. It is what we do.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Wow! What beautiful sentiments! We are so happy that you shared in our joyous celebration. Thank you for being part of it all and for providing the visual feast that we will enjoy now and forever.
Now it is clear why you "do whatcha do"!