Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Rings, Things, & Money

Where were you at 456789? When the numbers all lined up at 4:56 a.m. on 7/8/9? I was sleeping but know that the magic fairy dust must have been sprinkled somehow!

If you are joining us in the annual guilty pleasure that is the Today Show wedding then you know that my number one picks for anything have pretty much passed by the wayside. I'm pulling solid second places----- which makes me really nervous about talking about the Cards too much!

The gown of choice ended up being #3, the simple gown by Christos that featured the little beaded sleeves. I look forward to seeing Leigh in that dress, I'm not sure if the dress as simple as it is won't wear her, we'll see in a week.

Rings are next to vote on and I did have a good smile this morning when they put the wedding bands up for "vote". Several times it was mentioned that the engagement ring 'could' be moved over to the other hand. COULD? Oh yeah.............. rather impractical and [for me] seriously unnatractive that square cut emerald is. Yeeeeesh. The bands were all very pretty and no doubt pricey, not one of them would look good worn together with the engagement ring but truthfully there is not a wedding band in the world that would. I voted for ring #4 from DeBeers, the pave diamonds were stunning! In this case, it really doesn't matter to me which ring wins as in any case that emerald has got to go!

In a non-related story heard as I gathered things to head out the door was a very interesting story about MONEY. The thing other than in-laws guaranteed to bring more than a snap and a snafu to most relationships. It made me curious about the BBP bride! Squirelling money away----- hiding it. Do you have separate money? Is having separate money being dishonest, sneaky even? Is there a difference when you call it the small amount of money [think mani-pedi] that is non-reportable in a marriage................... or large amounts that are tucked away and hidden? I know of a woman who tucked away monies throughout a relationship for years, her personal hedge fund. LOTS of money, poof. In that case I think it is just plain stealing---- don't you? Way different that writing a check for $20 more at the grocery store. Guess it bears repeating, your Mama was right, talk about money up front: who makes what, how things get paid, do you split or do you pick and choose, what happens if and when one spouse doesn't have the income they do now, what money can be spent without report, etc.


I'm on a mission now, what do YOU think about money in a marriage?


No comments: