Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Can't Fit in my Dress Cake-----

I baked a cake for the Mom's in residence this Mother's day. Wanting to be a bit vintage, I dug in the recipe box on the counter. You know the warped old maple box with the cracked lid that holds the secrets of generations! My Gramma used to make this cake, long ago--- and the memory of it has certainly stayed with me. I thought it would be the perfect choice to make and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Warning: If you have to fit into a wedding gown any time soon, you might want to delay eating this cake or lace up your running shoes---- yoga just ain't gonna' cut it!

And the vintage recipe, the Mother's Day cake.......................... omg it was so good you have NO idea! It was so good I'm going to give you the recipe and you have to try it. A cake recipe like this one couldn't be easier and the results are phenomenal. Sweet, sticky........... glorious!!!

FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

2 c. unsifted flour (I used unbleached organic)
1 1/2 c. sugar (why yes, that IS a lot of sugar, don't think about it!)
2 scant tsp. soda
Pinch of salt
2 beaten eggs
1 (15 oz.) can fruit cocktail (I used double cherry from Sam's)
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together flour, sugar, soda, and salt. Dump in that can of fruit cocktail with all of the juice. Beat well. Bake in greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan at 300 degrees for 4-50 minutes. The cake will be light brown in color when you take it out of the oven. As the fragrant cake emerges from the oven, pour over the icing, assuming you haven't eaten it all! If cake batter looks thin, you can add a little more flour using your judgment....some fruit cocktail has more juice than others. I hear that the cake freezes well but frankly I've never had the opportunity to test this out.

ICING FOR FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE (similar to the frosting on a German Chocolate Cake)

1 stick butter (again, don't think about it)
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1 c. coconut (I used a combination of plain coconut and Angel Flake)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (I used pecans because they are my favorite)

Cook together the ingredients, the icing will thicken a bit and get a very light brown color. When the cake is out of the oven, immediately pour the icing over the top.



No comments: