Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Facing Pillows and other Mama Lore

Mama always told me the sure fire way to keep a marriage happy was.................... well it is quite simple really. I'll pass along her wisdom here as every relationship on the planet needs to know the why's and how to's on this tricky subject.

It came about when I was making a bed, way (and I mean WAY) back in my newlywed days. I don't know why my Mom had never shared this information with me before that time, I guess it was too sensitive and special to pass on before I was a married woman!

In order to keep a marriage happy and without discord, it all comes down to the way to make a bed in the morning. No I'm not kidding! Personally, I think that in light of this epiphany, if you do not make your bed at ALL you are just doomed, plain and simple!

Straight from my Mom: When you make your bed and it is time to place your pillows, make sure that the "open side" (the side you can see the pillow inside, not the seam side) kisses up against the seam side of the other pillow. In other words, they nest together.

You are no doubt wondering what in the world this has to do with a happy marriage as did I at the time. Mom said that when the pillows butt up against each other then you are going to have a day where you butt heads, nothing will go right and fights and tiffs will occur.

Such a simple thing, and certainly worth trying................ after all Mama Lore can't be all wrong can it?????

That early marriage has long been history so instead of blaming Mom, I guess I'll choose to believe that I made the bed wrong more than once! My Mother also had the uncanny knack of forecasting winter based on a squirrel's tail. This is undoubtedly a story for another day!

I'd love to hear if you have any Mama Lore you hold dear!

No comments: