Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Back From the Front Lines

So, I'm back from Jury Duty. While I don't mind doing my civic duty and found the whole thing very interesting, I must say that it was disconcerting at the least. The entire selection process tried so hard to make sure that no jurors were 'tainted' before hearing and deciding the trial. Let's face it, that is what makes America--- well, America! But the eerie thing about it was that while the defense and prosecution attorneys tried to make sure that the jury would not carry preconceived notions or immediately judge the defendant based on things that would come out in a trial. They had to say enough to let you know what the case was about, what you would likely hear during the criminal trial, and who you would hear it from. At the end of the two days of interrogation (I don't remember the silly French word they use, but it all boils down to interrogation at the root) it astounded me (and others) that not one single person said that they didn't have a gut feeling about the defendant and the trial. It seemed pretty clear to me that the guy was as guilty as can be, and I was sort of corked that once again my tax dollars were going to uphold such a ridiculous event. Do I sound bitter? Heck, I don't mean to--- really. But my question is----- are there REALLY any people who sit on a jury that are completely open? Especially in the city of St. Louis, the odds against such a thing seem remote at best.

***
But I digress! I quite obviously (and to my delight) was not chosen for jury duty, I only lost two days to the American system of jurisprudence, and am now back at work, catching up on correspondence, working on an absolutely gorgeous wedding album for a lucky bride and groom, and getting out contracts, etc. The delight is that I'm working from home today, hallelujah and amen, what a wonderful thing. For you my constant and faithful blog readers, if I am working at home, what ELSE am I doing????

***

Hum the Jeopardy theme here...................

***

For those of you who know me, and those of you who merely know my blogged words the answer is quite simple, yes? Yes!

***

I'm baking of course! Nothing, absolutely nothing in this world puts me to rights and settles my soul quite like baking. What, you might ask, is coming out of the oven? The house smells like chocolate chip cookies, my favorite (and coveted) recipe that features a couple unusual ingredients yet turns out the best cookies I've ever eaten. When a batch gets made, the whole house smells great and many people become quite happy and satisfied. I'm munching right now hoping not to get crumbs in the keyboard! Next to go in the oven when it has finished its rise are two twin loaves of homemade French bread. Thin, but not too thin, light and gently floured, they will rise in a spritzed for steam oven to create amazingly crunchy, crispy bread with that soft, bread-y center that really gets your motor running. So while I'm rolling out risen loaves I think to myself, what's for dinner? And I think that Fettucine Alfredo and a nice green salad will be wonderful. Now, I'll just sit back and wait for the e-mails to begin and the doorbell to ring! :)

***

The sun is out again----- even if it is a dang cold day, take care and stay warm. Be a blessing to someone today!

No comments: