Thursday, August 23, 2007

Vacation Yet???

I've decided that the time for a vacation is long overdue. I've lost my everlovin' mind, slipped a cog and am just dog tired. Dog. Tired. Very much after the fact I discovered late last night (when I had already been drooling on myself in front of the television) that I had given the wrong name for a bride the week after her wedding when we posted photos of her gorgeous wedding. What can I say, I am a true idiot of the highest magnitude and Michelle if you are reading this I apologize. I chalk it up to one of the busiest wedding seasons on record and of course the fact that I am feeling old and feeble apparently! :) My ace web watcher, bride Carin apparently slipped up on her job as the dear soul who makes sure that I have not well and truly lost it--- so Carin I must say you clearly need to pay closer attention here!

Vacation is actually not in the future, at least for awhile. But that is okay! Despite never seeing the bottom of my desk, we continue to be blessed by the best brides in the good old US of A. Thanks to you all for making me laugh, surprising me with your kind words, being sweet and sharing your incredibly fabulous wedding with us all.

I will close on this extremely hot Thursday in St. Louis with a recipe for one of those things that we all have in abundance--TOMATOES. I am afraid to answer the door when I get home from the studio for fear that yet more neighbors will share their tomatoey goodness.

Really Good Tomato and Basil Bruschetta

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped. You can use regular tomatoes, just remove most of the seeds and pulp and use the flesh of the tomato. If you use regular tomatoes you will need 3-4 depending on size
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil (I buy a big jar at Costco and use it all the time), chopped roughly
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons good quality red balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed (My garden has a basil plant that is taking over!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 French baguette, sliced diagonally for nice big oval slices of bread
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or slices of fresh Buffalo Mozzarella if you like the taste

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the broiler
  • In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
  • Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
  • Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
  • Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Stay cool!

1 comment:

Carin and Michael Schindler said...

OH no you didn't.... Tina I had no idea I was your cheif editor...LOL.
Thanks for the shout out..and I am sorry I failed you.... :0(. What are you guys up to on Friday PM?