Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Prep Day

Unbelievably, we've just taken down the last booth at a bridal show and gotten everything set to rights again and it is time to think about doing it again. I hate it when that happens and quite frankly don't understand why the fairies can't come and just take care of it all. My project over the next couple of days is to finish up the tres cute handouts. Along with everything else of course! We are getting most excited to meet the "Unveiled" attendees this weekend at the Chase. Are you coming? If so, please stop by the booth and say hi! I hear rumors that the show is now a sellout so if you need tickets you'll have to be creative.

My beloved Martha (no, I'm not ashamed to admit that!!!) was on the Today Show this morning talking about her new book, "Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes". WOW, what a book! The photos are absolutely stunning, I think it is a must have for any bride who is setting out on the cake decision road. Of course, every baker of good repute in this town (and any other) would more than likely tell you to leave the book at home when coming in to view and taste their cakes. Martha's book does have a zillion recipes, types of cakes and fillings and frostings and embellishments---it is quite an accomplishment.

It makes me think of my wedding cake from many moons ago. I baked my own (and would have made Martha proud!) for a home wedding for 75 people. It took me two days to make that cake! It was really quite pretty, the cake itself was a carrot cake from a recipe that has remained one of my favorites over the years. It was frosted with a traditional cream cheese frosting and piped simply with a frou frou tip of some sort and decorated with lovely fresh pink roses and ferns. I had purchased a kit to make the cake three tiered and carefully set to work installing platforms and dowels, a feat of engineering. Well, there is a reason that I am not an engineer because by the end of the evening that cake was beginning to list to the right! It still makes me smile that I baked my own cake and that everyone enjoyed it so much.

Two cakes from the past years with BBP live on in my memory and you know me, I love my wedding cake! Having the opportunity to nibble on cakey goodness almost every weekend has (in my mind) made me somewhat of a cake gourmet! I know what I like! Many of the cakes are just, well cakes. They are pretty and definitely reflect the wedding dress or reception venue--- but the taste is just fairly average. There are a couple of standouts however that now every cake is measured against! Yum.

So........................ what kind of cake are YOU having?

No comments: