Friday, January 11, 2008

Wedding Cake Friday

For those of you craving my recipe for carrot cake, I'm more than happy to pass it on. I still call it "Wedding Carrot Cake" but you can call it anything you like! I've now developed an intense desire for this yummy cake myself---- you know what I'll be blowing the diet with this weekend!

Wedding Carrot Cake

2 1/2 cups finely grated carrot (I use the fine shredding attachment of the Cuisinart)
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces (don't buy the whole ones for this recipe)
1 cup canned shredded pineapple (drained with the excess liquid blotted off)
3/4 cup shredded coconut (I use the store brand, it is dryer than the premium brand)
2 cups all purpose flour (measure carefully)
2 teaspoons good quality cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice

2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups oil (I use canola)

4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare two 10 inch cake pans by lining with parchment paper, butter well and use powdered sugar to coat. Tap out excess sugar.

In the preheated oven, gently toast the pecans for about 5 or 6 minutes. Don't over-toast. Let them cool and then coarsely chop. Using a large mixing bowl combine the carrots, drained pineapple, and In a large mixing bowl, toss together the carrots, pecans, pineapple, and coconut with 1/2 cup of the flour. Make sure that everything is nicely coated with the flour.

Sift together the spices, salt, soda and last 1 ½ cups of flour in a sifter or through a mesh strainer.

If you have a stand mixer, use the whip attachment. Otherwise, try not to over-beat the dry ingredients. Mix the eggs and sugar until light yellow and fluffy and slowly add the oil. Fold in the combined dry ingredients. Add to the bowl with the carrot and pineapple mixture. Very gently combine and pour the batter evenly into prepared cake pans.

Bake the cakes about 1 to 1 ¼ hours, rotating once in the oven. Cool on a rack, turn out of the pans and remove the parchment paper.

Sour Cream Frosting:

  • 2 ½ cups of powdered sugar
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Pinch of salt

Beat all ingredients on low until combined and then at high speed until light and fluffy. Let me add that I've used a cream cheese frosting and only iced the top and between the layers and it was divine as well.

We're preparing for "Unveiled" this Sunday, but of course I think I might now have to bake a carrot cake. Sheesh!



1 comment:

Carin and Michael Schindler said...

I always feel so special when a picture from our day shows up on the blog. Thanks. Michael and I still have to talk about the monthly deal - he's been out of town on business. Talk to you all soon.