Monday, February 05, 2007

Carbo Hangover



Just about everyone we talk to has a nasty carbo hangover. You know---- too many chips, pretzels, dip, pizza----- sigh. The sure fire way to tell that the Super Bowl is over, we're all ready for a salad and light cuisine, well at least for a day or two until the hangover fades.

Super Bowl 41 was a good one, no matter where you hailed from or who your favorite team was. The Colts and the Bears gave us good reason to cheer, many times for both teams at the same time. Me? Well, having gone to high school in Chicago The Bears do have a very special place in my heart (said with John Belushi tones of "The Bears"!) Think vintage Bears, Dick Butkus, Brian Piccolo, Gale Sayers, along with many of the other Bears greats. I couldn't help but find them heart favorites. Alas, their victory was not to be as Manning and the Colts won decisively. Along with discovering that Maple Barbeque potato chips from TJ's were a smash hit, it was a fun and very entertaining game. I always think of my ex- father in law Len when I think of football generally, or the Bears specifically. Because there is a lot of really cold winter out there I believe I'll give you his super secret recipe for Hot Buttered Rum, if he were still living I wouldn't dare! The concoction sounds kind of nasty but trust me, it is darn good!

Len's Hot Buttered Rum
Fill a mug with hot cider-- HOT!!
Stir in a heaping spoon of dark brown sugar
Toss in a jigger +/- of dark rum (Myers is great)
Float a pat of butter on top
A cinnamon stick stir element is essential


And enjoy! Len would make these babies up by the thermos full and all the boys enjoying the game at Soldier's Field were always so happy to have them. He never shared the recipe, guarding it much as Martha Stewart must guard the family jewels. Remember, I didn't say it was GOOD FOR YOU, just good! And, ssssshhhhhhhh, don't tell Len you got the recipe from me!


For girly balance (because we surely do need that)--- I am SO excited to know that one of my favorite stores is coming to The Galleria.................. LUSH!!!! I discovered Lush in British Columbia years ago when they were just starting out and have enjoyed them since here in the U.S. and by mail order. How can you not be absolutely in love with a company that makes the most delicious bath bombs on the planet? My personal favorite is Butterball and Chelsea Garden. I'd love to try the sweet little bomb called "Sex Bomb", but really----- isn't buying one either looking desperate or giving too much information? The website says that when you take a bath with "Sex Bomb" that the fragrance will waft throughout your home turning it into a pleasure palace. Wow, now there's a claim! Their body butters are extraordinary as well............. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the bliss. You'll love Lush too when it opens, it's a fun store that just draws you in with it's open shelves and piles of luxurious and organically appearing products. Grab tight to your wallet, it's easy to run amok here! http://www.lush.comhas more info.

Good thing we're wearing some carbo's to keep us warm, it is going to be a high of 18 degrees today so stay warm!

No comments: