Monday, February 26, 2007

Envelope Schmenvelope!

Photo Credit: Kevork Djansezian/ap
Photo Credit: Harrison Getty

Photo Credit: Granitz Wire


Photo Credit: Gilbert Flores


Envelope Schmenvelope indeed!!!!!!!!!! In my book while the movies are intriguing and the behind the scenes buzz interesting------- the reason to watch the Academy Awards is the FASHION! I love it all! In years past, my daughter and I would gather in the middle of my bed with every sort of junk food and soda imaginable (so as not to have to venture too far afield and miss something fabulous) and watch the pre-oscar show as the glittery and famous arrived on the red carpet. It used to be that there were just two pre shows, Joan Rivers and E. I still absolutely adore the irreverent and dishy Joan and wouldn't miss her, even if it means catching her show on TV Guide channel. I refuse to believe that she has fallen from grace, merely that her dish is a bit "too too" for the majors! This year I watched them both, going back and forth on the tube. Personally, I think that Joan gave the best commentary----- Ryan Secrest lost me when he untucked his shirt and showed that his altogethers were Calvin Klein briefs! Good Grief! I didn't hold court in my bed either as my daughter has flown the coop, but I did indulge in some Sticky Toffee Hagen Dazs and my favorite comfort curry dish. How can a day be better?


Regardless, the pageant on the red carpet was wonderful this year! My favorite actress was Helen Mirren who looked regal, glamourous and age appropriate in that stunning Christian Lacroix dress. That grande dame knew she was going to win last night and reflected every bit of it during the evening. Penelope Cruz in Atelier Versace was old Hollywood glam in that pink 'all that' gown, very regal. And Gwenyth was absolutely incredible as always in her beautiful Zac Posen dress, different, stylish, trendy yet with a nod to vintage. You can't watch the red carpet fashion and not give a nod to Reese Witherspoon in that ultra glam Nina Ricci, she looks even more gorgeous post Ryan indeed! And did you catch those 38 carats of Van Cleef and Arpels? Wow! I think that while Jennifer Hudson is remarkably talented and deserving of her big win last night, her dress made her look like a baked potato going to the prom! Beyonce's gown was over the top with that beaded strap thing going on.............. and Jessica Biel? Ohmygosh........ hot pink and no bra. I know I know, I just sounded like my mother! Nicole Kidman's red Balenciaga was incredibly stylish but that big red bow made her look like a gift or something. As vintage Saturday Night Live used to say----- "just my opinion................. I could be wrong!"
The day after indeed, back to the routine and everyday!

No comments: